A small step for man, a giant leap for Mankind….
Neil Armstrong’s quote still comes up from time, I got thinking, what are your giant leaps?
As I write this, we are in the third week of January, are some of your giant leaps being sabotaged by the lack of small steps? I am speaking of action steps, those weekly or bi-weekly steps in a forward direction, which leads to the achievement of that big goal. I have mentioned these before, however I believe it bears repeating.
Why action steps are important:
- They let you break the big goal into its requisite parts, bite-size pieces if you will.
- They give you a small regular win, which gives you a dopamine hit, and a sense of accomplishment.
- They keep you focused and on track so you don’t major in the minors.
- They give you a weekly or bi-weekly check-in to see if that goal is still important to you.
- They tend to help you defeat wishful thinking, because of the time and energy poured into the action steps.
- They help you win, and maybe more importantly, feel like a winner!
So, go back to those resolutions, decide what are truly goals, then ditch without guilt what turned out to be whims.
Last step? Hire a life coach, (shameless plug) or find an accountability partner, and get to work!
Till we chat again,