Sometimes we make dramatic plans that are expected to bring happiness into our lives right away. Often this is merely wishful thinking.But the simple pleasures in life are what we can count on to give us continuous joy. When we appreciate and enjoy the simple things, the gratitude we feel will extend to other areas as well. Here are some of the simple pleasures that are worth making the effort to experience often.
- Hot Cup of Coffee or Tea
- Some of us survive on our daily coffee or tea. Even when it is a daily habit, it can bring much joy. As you sip on your beverage of choice, take some quiet time to enjoy every bit.
- Enjoying Your Favorite Food
- Even if your favorite food is not especially healthy, allow yourself to have it every now and then. The feeling of your much-loved food will bring you a little boost of pleasure. Studies have shown that if you refrain from a particular food for a certain time, it will be even more enjoyable the next time you try it, so use this trick to make your favorite meal taste even better than usual.
- Giving and Receiving Smiles
- What better way to experience a simple pleasure for free? Give smiles not only to your friends but also to random strangers you pass on the street. You will be amazed at how good it feels to see first the surprise of others, and then their own smile in return.
- This is not only for kids. People of all ages need some playtime in their lives. Feeling silly about this won’t ruin the experience, just embrace the feeling of innocent fun that playing at anything, a game, a sport, a puzzle, or making mud angels (since thanks to Global Warming we no longer get snow!) gives you.
- Laughing until It Hurts
- Laughter is the best medicine (just ask Reader’s Digest). Everyone should have or make an opportunity to laugh until it hurts at least once a day. Whether it is with a friend who really gets your sense of humour, watching a good movie, reading a book with funny passages, seeing something random on the street, take some time to laugh away your stress. If you know me, you know I live this.
- Walking in the Rain
- Walking in the rain is one of life’s amazing simple pleasures. Dress warm, and go outside with or without an umbrella. Let the rain splash over your face as you stroll along, and be sure to jump in at least one puddle for old time’s sake.
Not everyone can afford “the vacation” or a trip to an amusement park. Expensive fun is great, but can be hard to come by.
Instead of waiting for your next vacation, indulge in one of these simple pleasures. By learning to appreciate the little things right next to you, you will find great fulfillment each and every day.
Until we chat again,